View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Dazy-
Officer

re: Song of Soothing

I found an interesting tip about Song of Soothing:

"Using it on a mob that is not already aggro'd on you will not reduce threat, it will actually put you on the threat list."

So it would seem that SoS should not be used "proactively" but rather used only once you have aggroed mobs. The proactive skill would be to tier up to Anthem of Compassion.

Dod this explains why you're getting aggro at the start of the fights in DN - I remember you saying you cast SoS before anything else. wink

And because I normally use it regularly in my rotation, it might explain my trauma in the Gorothul fight! I'm actually drawing them to me in addition to the healing threat.

Damworth Incorporated
Officer

Awarded:

re: Good to know!

This actually simplifies foghts for me--takes one step out of the early part of the dance, if you get me. Thanks!

Awarded:

Hmmm....that would explain what happens to me at the beginning of DN, but that's not at all what the description provided by Turbine implies. And i usually don't have problems with it elsewhere so that's also strange too.

If that is the case it doesn't make much since since song of soothing (unless you're traited) is an induction skill...so having it only be affective when you're beating on by a mob doesn't make much sense to me.

Out of curiosity Dazy, where did you find that? I searched around and couldn't find anything of that nature (not doubting you at all, especially since that would explain what's happening to me in DN, just curious about it)

--Dod

Actually found it in the Minstrel forums under the topic Song of Soothing. I've been trying to figure out why I get hammered every time in the Gorothul fight. I can stand on top of the champ/guard and still get hit so much I can't heal. I regularly cast SoS and Anthem of Compassion is always on my rotation whenever it's up.

I'm anxious to see if this actually helps.

Gilderbrand
Leader

Awarded:

One thing you need to think of is that while your healing is a true AOE threat - effecting all mobs in your area, the guard has a limit to his verbal and damage threat generators. I heavily use my challenge, litany of defiance, whirling retaliation, shield taunt and challenge the darkness, but they all effect a limited number of targets, usually about 6 to 10 max. In most fights that is not a problem, in Gorothul the skelies exceed that if we don't take him down fast.

In short, when it gets tough, move right in to make sure any mobs on the healer are within the guards first mobs to taunt. I have not healed that fight so I don't know how it will help, but if you are to far away I need to single target taunt a mob on you to try to get it off you. Run on thru, let me know you are coming and having trouble and I will make sure I have a special present for the mobs following you. (I try to keep at least 1 AOE threat skill up in that fight for emergency "get them off me" times)

At least for me, a quick verbal warning of what is going on in vent is very helpful. As a guard I watch the mobs so if you are not in my sight I may not see the stuff beating on the mini. (I hate to admit it, but if you guys die, I don't always know it till my health starts to go down) Say something, give me warning and come to me if you are in trouble - that goes for anyone not just mini's - the more stuff that is beating on me the less that is causing damage on others. Most times when I heal that is the way I like it, quick check on others, focus heals on one.
Shortline/Dod
Officer

Awarded:

Yea, I'm pretty bad about letting others know i'm getting beat on. Usually because if its just one or two, i'll fear it off or just deal with it. But when its more than one i'm so focused on trying to keep myself alive (especially in DN where they hit hard), I have a tendency to space letting someone know :P

That being said, on most fights anymore when I get stuff on me i'll often run to the guard or champ and stand next to them so they can grab it off me. Where this doesn't work so well is when i'm A.) rooted or B.) there is a lot of mobs doing AOE attacks because then i'll run next to the guard and the next thing i know i'm getting damage from 5 mobs instead of just 1 or 2.

To be honest, I don't have much problem with aggro except in the first couple of DN fights. In SG, towards the end i'll start to get aggro, but if the DPS classes are doing their job, its not to bad because the boss is usually close to dying anyways. It'll start to get bad usually somewhere under 100K health but by then you can usually drop fellows heart and just breeze through for awhile (but if the DPS classes aren't putting out enough, you may be in trouble because its taking too long in the fight).

Just my 2 cents.

--Dod

Jump to: